Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Two-Child Family


When Oliver was only a month old I blogged that I thought I would enjoy having two kids… one day.  At the time I was still reeling from all the change and I was way too overwhelmed to really enjoy anything.  I realized recently, though, that the day has finally come.  I officially love having two children.  I think I have loved it for some time, but the knowledge has only recently slipped into my conscious mind.  Yes, things are still difficult at times.  There are still those moments when both kids are screaming and I feel like I'm enduring some exotic form of endless torture.  But I'm sure that there will always be difficult times.  Now, though, there are enough wonderful moments to make the challenging ones worth it.

Moments when I pose them together for a photo op, with Emma's arms wrapped around Oliver's little body, and they both give me a dazzling smile at the exact same time.  Those pictures make it worth it.  Moments when Emma makes Oliver laugh, and then his laughter cracks her up in return.  Their mingled joy and Oliver's little squeals of excitement make it worth it.  Moments when Emmalee gives Oliver a hug and says, "I love you, Little Brudder."  Those words make it worth it.  And moments at night when I'm lying on my side in bed with Emma spooned up against my front and Oliver cuddled up against my back, and my heart is so full of love and contentment that I think I could burst.  Those moments make it worth it.

So, yes, I love having two children.  There are rough moments, but we persevere, because we are a two-child family now.  We've got a routine and enough love and hugs and kisses to go around.  The dust has settled.  We've adjusted.  And I think it’s safe to say, we wouldn't have things any other way.


No comments: